I am trying to be more deliberate this year about coming up with extra, fun stuff to do at home…for difficult weeks, sick days, rainy afternoons-really any time when we are feeling uninspired or need something different.
I wrote up a list for Rose first-because first grade is so easy and fun to plan! I might add to it over time, but right now it uses mostly stuff we already own or can get at the library. My first grade plans are here.
**My First Grade Extras List**
- The books, of course: We will re-read Little House in the Big Woods for Core A. We might read Little House on the Prairie and Farmer Boy again and I definitely want to read On the Banks of Plum Creek. We will save the other books until she’s a bit older.
- This website has some recipes that would be fun to try.
- Paper Dolls-I got these for her last year and she has so much fun with them!
- Watch Little House- I have never seen a single episode!
- Mathtacular DVD’s
- Games– especially Dominos, Dino Math Tracks, Chutes & Ladders, Uno, the Uncle Wiggily Game, & Sum Swamp
- Pattern Blocks
- Books suggestions from the Living Math website
- Magic School Bus website – For watching videos, experiment ideas, games and printables.
- Magic School Bus Kits– We are finishing up the dinosaur one now and she has had a blast with it.
We will be reading lots of stuff for Core A, of course, but just in case we need extra ideas, I made up this list.
- Sequels to any of the Core A books – Lots of the books (like My Father’s Dragon, Boxcar Children, and Beezus and Ramona) are part of a series.
- Lots and lots of fairy tales!
- Paper Dolls Around the World– These look like an awesome go-along for Core A!