A.K.A. the kitchen counter! I have been setting up this little “command center” for myself each homeschool morning, and I thought it would be fun to share. I claimed the end of our kitchen counter peninsula as my spot. It’s right near the dining table where the kids do seatwork and just a few steps from the living room where most of our reading happens, plus it’s in the kitchen where we usually do science experiments and messy activities. So it’s a nice central location where I can keep everything I need for the day.
Here’s what I keep here:
- A box of tissues – Because someone always has a cold lately!
- A glass of water – I try to fill one up each morning, otherwise I forget to drink.
- A timer – This comes in handy if someone has a cooking project or science experiment.
- Sharpened pencils – I sharpen a bunch each evening – no more hunting for pencils!
- My cell phone – I keep the landline ringer off during school hours to minimize distractions, but I keep my cell on for my husband.
- A big mug of tea – I like to use a travel mug so it doesn’t get cold!
- My homeschool binder -I keep a week or two of Sonlight/BookShark for each child here.
- Our chore chart & a dry-erase marker – So I can keep track of what needs doing.
- My planner – I often leave this open, so I have a spot to quickly jot down to-do’s and notes about various things as they occur to me.