In keeping with my resolution to be more thoughtful and organized when it comes to celebrating the seasons… here are some plans and random thoughts for June ~ a few days late!
Special Dates to Celebrate
*June 11th ~ The Belmont Stakes*
We have been keeping up with the big horse races this year, so we’ll be watching this, the final race of the Triple Crown.
*June 14th ~ Flag Day*
We don’t normally “celebrate” this day, but this year I am planning to make a flag cake.
*June 19th ~ Father’s Day*
A day all about Dad; today usually involves some gifts, some grilling, and some outdoor fun.
*June 20th ~ Summer Solstice*
I am thinking this would be a good day for a nice summery dessert – maybe strawberry shortcake (it’s also the full Strawberry Moon)?
Or homemade ice cream?
We also celebrate Rose’s birthday this month; she is turning 8!!
Things to Notice and Do This Month
- Pick strawberries and make shortcake & strawberry freezer jam
- Take time to admire the flowers this month – especially the peonies and rhododendrons, which both look so nice right now
- Plant flowers. I don’t go overboard with flower gardens, but I like to plant a new perennial or two and get a hanging basket of geraniums for the porch
- Enjoy the birdsong that starts so very early in the morning
- Watch for fireflies on warm nights
- Keep an eye out for nesting birds in the yard – right now we have a phoebe nest tucked under our swingset
- Enjoy rhubarb, arugula, and garlic scapes from the garden…plus our farm share begins!
- Submit year-end reports to school district
- Have backyard fires and make s’mores
- Finish up schoolwork for the year!
- Go out for ice cream at every opportunity
- Make a list of things we want to do this summer – and start doing them!