In keeping with my resolution to be more thoughtful and organized when it comes to celebrating the seasons… here are some plans and random thoughts for July ~ a few days late!
Special Dates to Celebrate
*July 4th ~ Independence Day*
This is always a fun day. We do pancakes or waffles with strawberries, blueberries, and vanilla ice cream for breakfast, then head out for a day at the lake with family. We have a cookout and swim, fish, canoe, and/or play yard games. We head back home for a quick dinner, then out again to see the fireworks!
There aren’t a whole lot of special dates in July, which is probably a good thing what with summer camps and summer practices. There are, however, a whole lot of things to notice and do!
Things to Notice and Do This Month
- Make sure our American flag is in good shape; replace it if needed
- Enjoy the daylilies that seem to pop up everywhere this time of year
- Sit on the screened porch during thunderstorms
- Install air conditioners in the upstairs windows
- Pack a bag for summer fun
- Remember to water the garden during dry spells – we’re having one now!
- Wait for that first tomato from the garden
- Finish homeschool plans for the fall
- Jot down notes about this past homeschool year (transcript-style) for my high-schooler
- Listen for crickets and cicadas
- Grill as often as possible – it’s too hot to cook inside!
- Enjoy raspberries from the garden – it looks to be a bumper crop this year
- Corn-on-the-cob season begins
- Get a bunch of fun toppings and have a “make your own sundae” night
- Try to remember to deadhead the flowers
- Watch movies with popcorn and lemonade when it’s too hot to be outside
- Make time for the kids to use the pool whenever possible
- Catch fireflies in jars (then release them)
- Make popsicles
- Make homemade ice cream
- Eat every dinner on the back porch
- Try to spend some time just sitting outside and soaking it all in – it’s summer!