In keeping with my resolution to be more thoughtful and organized when it comes to celebrating the seasons… here are some plans and random thoughts for November.
Special Dates to Celebrate
*November 1st ~ Begin gratitude project*
Each November, our family makes a gratitude chain. You can read more about that here. I absolutely love this little tradition and how it forces us all to slow down, at least for a minute, to record something we felt grateful for that day. Even if it’s just bedtime! And there are many, many days I am grateful for bedtime.
*November 6th ~ Daylight Savings Time Ends*
Perhaps not something to exactly celebrate, but something to notice anyway. It will be lighter in the morning than it has been, so hopefully I will be able to coax myself out of bed! On the flipside, it will get dark earlier, which means lots of driving home in the dark.
*November 8th ~ Election Day*
Given all the excitement over the election this year, the kids have asked to stay up until the results are in…I told them we’ll see how efficient the process is;). I have been looking around for an idea or two to add interest while we wait. One thing I plan to do is to print out a blank map of the country and have everyone take turns coloring the states red and blue as the votes come in.
*November 13th ~ The Full Beaver Moon*
*November 18th ~ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them*
I do not think we will see this movie the very day it comes out, but we are very excited about it! I just requested a copy of the book from the library, since it is apparently currently out of print.
*November 24th ~ Thanksgiving*
We will be having Thanksgiving at home this year, so it will feel extra special. We even ordered our turkey already. The plan is to cook, watch the Macy’s parade, eat, and play games. I also have a few crafts lined up to hopefully complete in the weeks before.
*November 27th ~ First Sunday in Advent*
We will begin decorating for Christmas, light our first Advent candle, and put together our gratitude chain. I hope to have plans up on the blog in the next few weeks about our Advent plans.
Things to Notice & To-Do this Month
- Ease into the shorter, darker days ~ it’s definitely time for candles at dinner
- Take a photo for the Christmas cards and order them. Get Christmas stamps too!
- Stock up on cranberries. Use them to make cranberry sauce and cranberry bread (my all-time favorite recipe is the one in the back of Cranberry Thanksgiving!)
- Start having “oatmeal mornings”. Typically, one morning a week we cook a big batch of plain oatmeal, then set out toppings (chocolate chips, raisins, coconut, cinnamon, maple syrup)
- Put the bird feeders up
- Stock up on tea
- Decorate for Thanksgiving (after taking down the Halloween decorations)
- Plan the Thanksgiving menu, and try to prep as much as possible ahead
- Order fruitcake mix from King Arthur
- Make Advent plans
- Get as much Christmas shopping done as possible!
- Attend lots of horse shows with the equestrian in the family- ’tis the season
- Purchase new throw blankets – we never seem to have enough of these
- Enjoy the last foliage – brassy oaks and bright scarlet Japanese maples
- Purchase Advent calendars for the kids
- Check on everyone’s winter gear (coats, shoes, hats, snowpants, boots)
- Make placecards for Thanksgiving day
- Plant amaryllis bulbs for Christmas